What will Skate Canada event volunteers do?
Volunteers will carry out a variety of essential tasks and roles at the official Skate Canada event sites, including arena(s) and hotel(s). There are several distinct areas in which volunteers may choose to work; general, venue operations, hotel and registration, transportation and medical. All details regarding volunteer positions can be found in the Volunteer Information Package for each specific event.
Do I get to choose my volunteer position?
Volunteer positions will be assigned based on the positions available, an individual’s background and experience, as well as availability. Where possible, your preferences will be considered.
What is the time commitment to be a volunteer at a Skate Canada event?
- Volunteers are requested to be available for the entire period of the event they are applying for, in addition to the set-up and tear-down days.
- Volunteer roles are varied and thus some areas may require volunteers for the entire duration, while others will begin later in the week. The more flexible your availability, the more volunteer options that may be available.
- A normal volunteer day will be six to eight hours, including breaks.
Am I guaranteed a volunteer position?
Many factors are taken into consideration when selecting volunteers for Skate Canada events. These include successfully completing the online volunteer application form, successful completion of criminal records check and accepting the position offered. Volunteers able to contribute a minimum of 20 hours will be given priority in the selection process.
What is required to apply to become a volunteer for a Skate Canada event?
There are a variety of skill sets that will be required in different positions, including but not limited to:
- Must be a minimum of 15 years of age or older by the start date of set-up for the specific event. Some exceptions apply for specific positions (i.e. flower retrievers, ice patchers, and ceremony participants). This information can be found in the Volunteer Information Package for each specific event.
- Ability to create a welcoming environment for competitors, team personnel, media and spectators.
- Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team in a professional and courteous manner.
- Ability to perform varying levels of manual labour.
- Background in figure skating and knowledge of the sport an asset.
- Previous experience at Skate Canada events or with major international events.
- Advanced computer application skills – Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to handle sensitive information in a professional and confidential manner.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and high-energy environment.
- Ability to deal with unexpected and difficult situations.
- Language skills – ability to work in English, French and other languages is an asset.
Skills specific to volunteer positions can be found in the Volunteer Information Packages.
Can I volunteer if I come from outside of Canada?
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Skate Canada events being held this season. At this time Skate Canada is only accepting applicants from within Canada. Should volunteer numbers warrant the application to be open to international volunteers, information will be made available at www.skatecanada.ca.
What will be the best time to submit my online volunteer application form?
We strongly advise that you complete the online volunteer application form as soon as possible. Once all volunteer positions have been filled and the application closes, volunteer applications will no longer be accepted.
Where will Skate Canada event volunteers work?
Volunteers will work in all the official event sites.
- Competition and practice venues
- Official hotel(s)
Can a volunteer work within two or more areas at the same time?
It is possible that volunteers may work in more than one area depending on their skill set and availability.
When will I find out about my specific volunteer role?
The Local Organizing Committee (LOC) in combination with Skate Canada staff will work together to form the volunteer teams. Once approved and assigned to a specific volunteer area, a member of the LOC will contact you to discuss details of scheduling and job function. This process will begin 21 days following your online application submission, and continue up until the event.
Once I get selected, can I change volunteer roles?
With large volunteer teams, we cannot accept requests for volunteer position changes once assigned. We appreciate your cooperation and understanding with this matter.
Please note, however that due to constant changes of requirements with the events, the role and/or venue you have been assigned to may change in the lead up to the event. Where this is required, we will give as much notification as possible. There also may be times on-site at the event where you are asked to assist in another volunteer area if volunteer needs change.
Will volunteers be able to watch the event they are volunteering at?
Volunteers will have the opportunity to watch the skating on the honour system, pending seat availability. If a volunteer has completed their shift or is waiting to carpool they may watch from an empty seat. We ask all volunteers to remove their accreditation tag and uniform and conduct themselves appropriately; if the ticket holder for the seat arrives, we ask the volunteer to quickly and quietly move to a new seat. This is a privilege and we ask that volunteers do not abuse it. To be guaranteed a seat for a specific session we always suggest purchasing a ticket as we cannot guarantee seat availability.
If a volunteer has a ticket to watch a session and would like to watch the skating, what should he/she do?
If a volunteer has purchased a ticket to the event he/she should inform the assigned area supervisor as soon as possible. This will permit, when possible allowances to be made to avoid shifts that conflict with the skating sessions he/she wishes to watch.
What happens if I can’t attend the volunteer orientation session?
The volunteer orientation is the key opportunity for the organizers to communicate critical information to you, complete the accreditation process, conduct uniform staging and is therefore mandatory (when scheduled at specific events). This comprehensive training will also help to familiarize yourself with the event as a whole and your specific area of responsibility. Volunteer uniforms and accreditation tags will be distributed as this function. Volunteer orientation information is included in the Volunteer Information Packages for each specific event, and will be confirmed closer to the event.
Will Skate Canada find me a place to live?
You will be responsible for finding your own accommodations while you are a volunteer at the event. Unfortunately, Skate Canada is not able to reimburse expenses for out-of-town volunteers. This includes travel, accommodation and/or mileage, meals and other expenses.
Will transportation be made available for volunteers?
All accredited individuals at Skate Canada events, including volunteers will have access to the shuttle busses that will be running between all the official sites. Please remember that your accreditation will be your point of access and must be shown at all times for access.
Will meals be provided to volunteers?
Volunteer meals will be available at the venue and at the main hotel with snacks and beverages available in the Volunteer Lounge throughout the day. Meals will be provided for volunteers working a minimum 6 hour shift over a meal period.
Will a uniform be required and provided for the event?
All volunteers will receive a volunteer uniform that must be worn during working volunteer shifts at the event. Each individual is to provide his/her own black, grey or navy dress pants. Jeans, sweatpants, yoga pants and leggings are not permitted during practice or competition days.
My question is not answered, who do I contact?
If you have any additional questions, please contact us at the event general inbox and we will be happy to answer your question.